[Stoves] Advocacy action: ask the GACC to stop promoting the WBT (Re: Xavier)

Traveller miata98 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 00:55:59 CST 2017

Xavier:

I support your stance in the following post, even though not in the
"Advocacy action" thread but evidently a part of it.

You need not apologize that you are not a scientist. It is more than enough
that you know you are not one. There are some scientists who do not know
they are not scientists.

Science is a spirit, not a matter of credentials (though I do have one
degree in science).

When inquiries are masked by vested interests, and words and silences are
bought and sold, science is tainted.

BTW, my impression is that the apparent disagreement between Ron and
Crispin is more than just about the "denominator". Fuel and energy
consumption may be separated according to the "service standard" I have
been asking for. If one desires to produce char instead of, or in addition
to, ash, that is another product. The whole controversy can be set aside by
simply agreeing that it is the total efficiency (reduction in economic
costs, thermodynamics and resource conservation be damned) that matters and
that it is the user who chooses, optimizing among all the desired
performance characteristics and economic constraints (difficult to know a
priori or even with surveys, but academia can go on generating blather
about "adoption" and "implementation").

Back 40+ years ago, some radical economists realized that the proof of
instability and collapse of the capitalist system was not in the third
derivatives being of the right sign but in institutional, anthropological
analysis.

Same here with WBT. It is to be condemned not just for a denominator but
because it is conceptually false as Crispin argues.

It has also served some vested interests, the most significant being
inertia. Otherwise known as intellectual laziness. Secondary benefits of
such laziness accrue to GACC and WHO.

Nikhil

Message: 1