[Stoves] Fuel Management - Bamboo Sawdust

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Mar 14 23:49:38 CDT 2017

Dear Andrew

Is there any chance of obtaining a picture of such a device. It sounds like a very simple ‎mechanism that can ladle out a reasonably consistent supply of sawdust.

I should have mentioned the possibility of Tony V building a large Mayon Turbo Stove which will burn sawdust as easily as rice hull.

I made with two REAP interns of Roger Samson's an version of that stove with much less excess air and a higher char to gas conversion rate. Contact Roger for that design.

‎

On 14 March 2017 at 17:09, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear Tony
>
> One of the good uses of sawdust when you have electricity is a simple fan
> and sawdust combustor.
>
> If you start a fire and spray air containing sawdust into it, you can get a
> really hot clean fire. It will probably be best to do it against a ceramic
> wall, like fire brick.

Crispin and Tony

A long time ago I saw a sawdust burner that was largely self tending
using this method.

It was a high mass cyclonic burner and the combustion air entrained the sawdust.

The sawdust was held in a 205 litre barrel with both ends removed and
this sat above a slowly rotation disc. Thus a small layer of sawdust
formed on the disc and this was sucked through a simple paddle
centrifugal fan and delivered into the combustor.

I do worry that Tony's post says the bamboo sawdust is treated??

Andrew