[Stoves] Fuel Management - Bamboo Sawdust

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 04:33:31 CDT 2017

On 15 March 2017 at 04:49, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott
<crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear Andrew
>
> Is there any chance of obtaining a picture of such a device. It sounds like a very simple ‎mechanism that can ladle out a reasonably consistent supply of sawdust.

Crispin I have been wracking my brain to remember where I saw it. I
think it must have been one of the natural Resources Institute
designs, I believe they evolved from UK's overseas development
authority

http://www.nri.org/

A search for it  brings up some dead links.

>From memory it was industrial scale for wood drying but I have made
similar burners that easily attained 800-1200C using woodchip. They do
exhibit high excess air because of their nature. Burning sawdust would
require a cyclone or vortex pockets to trap the fly ash.

The metering mechanism had a sliding paddle that varied the depth of
sawdust  leaving the drum before it was sniffed up by the fan and blow
in the combustor.

It should be self explanatory but I could try to sketch from memory.

I actually have most of the bits necessary, a sweep from a chip silo
unloader and a steel vortex burner but they are in UK.

Andrew