[Stoves] Fuel Management - Bamboo Sawdust

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Mar 15 07:55:01 CDT 2017

All useful info I will keep my eyes open. One of the places that could use it is Mongolia. They have huge piles of sawdust in certain locations and not much practical use for it.

Thanks
Crispin

On 15 March 2017 at 04:49, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:
> Dear Andrew
>
> Is there any chance of obtaining a picture of such a device. It sounds like a very simple ‎mechanism that can ladle out a reasonably consistent supply of sawdust.

Crispin I have been wracking my brain to remember where I saw it. I think it must have been one of the natural Resources Institute designs, I believe they evolved from UK's overseas development authority

http://www.nri.org/

A search for it  brings up some dead links.

From memory it was industrial scale for wood drying but I have made similar burners that easily attained 800-1200C using woodchip. They do exhibit high excess air because of their nature. Burning sawdust would require a cyclone or vortex pockets to trap the fly ash.

The metering mechanism had a sliding paddle that varied the depth of sawdust  leaving the drum before it was sniffed up by the fan and blow in the combustor.

It should be self explanatory but I could try to sketch from memory.

I actually have most of the bits necessary, a sweep from a chip silo unloader and a steel vortex burner but they are in UK.

Andrew

to Send a Message to the list, use the email address stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org