[Stoves] Stove Conf in Poland this month [COMMUNIQUE, non-paper]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri May 19 12:24:17 CDT 2017

Paul:

I both forgot about this and had no web access when I remembered. I haven't
checked on the website for conference objectives, list of sessions, and
speakers.

What will NOT be said:

"This summit of nation states (others don't matter. Nikhil) recognizes that
many of our governments have a moral and political obligation to the
sizable shares of their populations that are economically disadvantaged and
suffer severe winters for long times.

These populations are either not connected to gas, electricity or CHP
distribution networks or if they are, heating their homes by such modern
systems is not affordable to them or their governments. They have continued
to rely on traditional, highly inconvenient and unhealthy combustion
devices - stoves of various types and sizes or heat-only boilers - using
inferior and inconsistent quality solid fuels, principally coal. Their
living conditions are further compromised by aging building stock with poor
or no insulation and other forms of weatherizing.

Together, these living conditions are not protective of human health nor
conducive to proper raising of children, taking care of the sick and the
elderly. Nor for making love, with the irony that love-making during summer
results in childbirth during such insufferable winters.

Some people have migrated and a few have invested in new housing elsewhere,
with access to network heating. The rest, bound to their ancestral homes or
employment near the homes, have often been penalized by energy market
reforms that have increased the cost or reduced the quality of their
heating fuels.

[For debate:  Absent runaway local warming or proving of lithium reserves
or discovery of petroleum reserves or subsidies from WHO to the tune of
about $4 billion a year, it is unlikely that the present situation will
improve over the next 20 years. If at all, a combination of other
life-prolonging influences makes it imperative that this problem of
low-quality, antiquated form of heating be solved urgently so that the
extra years of life expectancy are not compromised by an average of 10-20
DALYs per person for the current and coming generations.]

Against this backdrop, this summit celebrates the advent of a new
generation of coal stoves that are clean, convenient, and lower the cost of
heating drastically.

>From the perspective of local human environment today and the next two
decades (i. e., the Clean Air part of the Coalition's name), this Summit
declares unqualified support for helping nations with sizable populations
that are economically disadvantaged and have long periods of suffering
severe winters via means of modern heating technologies.

We call upon all the nations here and the international aid community to
help eliminate the unnecessary risks and drudgery of at least a century old
heating technologies. The economic case is clear enough to consumers,
though they may not be "bankable" customers without some help in de-risking
their investments. Financing knowledge intermediation to popularize the
techniques of local production, sales and maintenance.

A virtuous cycle is bound to develop as the value chain for stoves and
solid heating fuels becomes more profitable and diverse, and competitive
conditions stimulate continuing innovations. We stand ready to welcome a
future where these improvements in residential and commercial heating
stimulate further innovation in rehabilitation and redesign of the
buildings that lower the energy requirements of a comfortable life.

Let us strive for modernizing energy for modernizing living conditions and
livelihoods. When the costs are so trivial, and the effort so rewarding.

[For debate: We can no longer be fooled by the "clean energy" revolution
that has bypassed the poor and enriched the rich. Bioenergy continues to be
a dirty business in the name of "clean energy".]

-----------------------
Now you can guess what I think WILL BE said:

The sky is falling. Black carbon rising from the coal stoves of those
luxuriating in toasty homes of Central, Western, Northern Asia and Eastern
Europe is showering upon the air-conditioned offices of Washington DC and
tourist resorts of Small Island States. What is more, the WHO is saying
that solid fuel use in household kills more than four million people per
year and, extrapolating from past trends, is likely to kill more people by
as early as 2020 than global warming.

So the time to act is now, and the place to act is right here. Next year,
when Poland is to host FCCC COP24, it must follow Germany, this year's
host, in immediate shutdown of all its coal use (expected to be announced
in Bonn this November, with restart for all German nuclear plants and new
orders from Iran).

Other members of the European Union who are represented here have to reduce
their greenhouse gases emissions, compared to 1990 levels, by 45--50 % come
2030 and by 80-95% by 2050. Considering that coal-fired power plants have
lower black carbon emissions than residential heating stoves, this Summit
announces that all residential heating stoves in nations attending here
will be demolished beginning tomorrow if they are capable of burning coal.

[For discussion: This could be added to the other version of the communique
above.]

All the people currently using coal for space heating can be given refugee
status in West Germany or France, and in any case they have roughly six
months to convert to biomass stoves, with pellets exported from Africa, or
biodiesel exported from Brazil, Indonesia, or China.

This Summit is now adjourned. A legally binding commitment is not expected.
Present nations are urged to revise their National Commitments under the
Paris Agreement, bearing in mind that US negotiators are the Paris COP 21
hold the view that such commitments may be revised upwards or downwards.
Save the earth, or save your people; the choice is yours.

etc. etc.

Nikhil Desai
+91 909 995 2080 <+91%2090999%2052080>
Skype: nikhildesai888

> On May 3, 2017, at 3:32 PM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
> Nikhil,
>
> You have proposed to draft a comunique.  Two versions.   Let's see what
you would say.   But each version is short.  Maybe bullet points.  If you
make a long version of each, then also YOU should provide two summaries
that says in brief what the long versions are saying.   Could be important
for discussions.

> Paul

> Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
> Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072 <(309)%20452-7072>
> Website:  www.drtlud.com
>
>> On 5/3/2017 4:07 AM, Nikhil Desai wrote:
>> Paul:
>>
>> Do you want me to draft a communique from this CCAC - Climate and Clean
Air Coalition - summit?

>> Two versions - what I think it should say and what I predict it would
say.

>> Pro bono and private. No leaks.
>>
>> One hint: No CDR.
>>
>> I am off the web, but look for a report by WHO Europe on heating
options. Circa 2015, Zoe Chaffee and Kirk Smith among the co-authors if I
remember correctly. Advises against unprocessed solid fuels - as if fuels
have little devils in them that are removed by the gods of processing. But
processed coal is acceptable.

>> Reality is accepted with qualification, unlike the fiction of premature
mortality, which is sold without reservations.

>> In some extremely cold regions - say, parts of Afghanistan or Mongolia,
two places I have visited and researched - biomass other than dung is not
available plentifully. Coal is (Mongolia) or can be (Afghanistan).

>> But bishops of global environment and archbishops of global health
despise coal. And other fossil fuels, no matter what the economic benefits.

>> Kirk Smith is an exception. Not only did he write "In Praise of
Petroleum" and "Power to the People" (including, implicitly, all
electricity that could be put to use in induction stoves), he unabashedly
argues for LPG (as Ron has now discovered), and has written (I am
paraphrasing) that, at the margin, air quality health gains in northern
China will come more from reduction in small-scale (residential,
commercial) direct use of coal (or all traditional SFU) than further
tightening of controls on coal-fired power plants.

>> I agree on the general point, just that I think the World Bank work
Crispin has guided in Kyrgyzstan points to the potential for tremendous air
quality gains right at every home and neighborhood at much lower cost than
electric heating. (The market for these new heating stoves is yet to be
proven, as also their long-term performance, I grant.)

>> I once did some rough calculations that using some very crude emission
factors and 20-year GWPs for all warning GHGs, the year 2000 global warming
damage from traditional biomass cooking and heating was roughly of the same
order as the entire coal-fired power generation of China that year. (No
adjustment for cooling aerosols from coal or biomass, nor for carbon
sequestration in China or elsewhere. As far as I am concerned, the world's
gross increment of photosynthesis sequesters CO2 from US and Chinese
coal-fired power plants and none from poor people's cookstoves. I hate it
when physicists become accountants and even then only of PJ and PTCO2e, not
of dinars and dollars. Don't even ask how the e in CO2e is cooked up;
depends on how you define global warming.)

>> I think I even argued that substituting all Indian cooking and heating
by electricity
>> - at the the then-average fuel mix and some 10% line losses - led to a
reduction in GHG loading, wherefore the FCCC Annex 1 countries should pay
the agreed incremental costs of financing the Indian power sector.

>> I wish GACC was in existence then. I might have been an ambassador for
"clean cookstoves".

>> Coming back to coal stoves, I think the BC reductions from new coal
stove designs for Mongolia, China, Kyrgystan, Tajikistan could earn enough
carbon revenue to sell themselves.

>> Oh. Since they are probably already cost-effective, no carbon revenues
or GEF grants, which are reserved for losers, i.e., otherwise
non-marketable products and services. And Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan may not
qualify for CDM.

>> I suspect that in a given locality, coal is often easier to work with
than biomasses for long-duration heating. (In Alaska, wind-diesel
electricity is better than solid fuels to melt ice for drinking water.)

>> Either way, we don't have to convince Kirk Smith that "truly health
protective" heating stoves for these very cold areas of the world can be
made using coal or biomass. I think this WHO Europe report made no mention
of the WHO Geneva/ISO TC 285 humbug of Tier 4 hourly average emission rate
target. No judgement of "health protection" options can be done without
regard to context, which includes relative economics.

>> We do have a challenge, Crispin, in showing that "clean enough" solid
fuel heating stoves and heat-only boilers of different sizes and readily
adaptable by different users can be delivered, used, and transform the
living environment of the poor and un-connected, intensely vulnerable
populations. We don't need BAMG certified aDALYs.

>> GACC can help. By raising and spending a billion $ for 100 million such
people.

>> Or it can get out of the way, and keep boiling water, cooking Chef Jose
Andres' dinners.

>> $ 10 per head grant for the poor for a stove that lasts 5-10 winters
versus $300+ per head supper once.

>> Improving the human environment vs the global environment.
>>
>> I for one would take the dinner, if GACC offers.
>>
>> But it should offer you and others an opportunity to make a case for
biomass heating stoves appropriate for those contexts.

>> Nikhil
>>
>> PS: I think CCAC is another Hillary innovation. (I was enthusiastic
about it at the time, as I also was about GACC). It has some parallel with
annual COPs for FCCC and Kyoto Protocol. If its funding came from USG or
the UN or FCCC, its future may be darker and colder compared to six months
ago.

>>> On May 2, 2017, at 7:59 PM, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Stovers,
>>>
>>> This link will give you the program, and one (of several) title that
says:   The Heating+Cooking and Coal Heatstoves Summit.    So there is at
least a significant part of the agenda about COAL.   What will be said?

>>> http://ccacoalition.org/en/events/stoves-summit-
addressing-black-carbon-and-other-emissions-stoves-globally?utm_source=May%
202017%20Newsletter&utm_campaign=May%2017%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email

>>> Agenda mentions
>>> Tami Bond (keynote speaker)
>>> GACC
>>> Mongolia (?? Crispin's co-workers ??)
>>> and much more.
>>>
>>> TWO points:
>>> 1.  Why has this not been mentioned before on the Stoves Listserv??
>>> 2.  I hope that someone who attends can give us pointers to key
presentations, etc.   Specifically, I would like to know if the WOODGAS
(TLUDs etc) stoves even get mentioned, and if so, in what way or context.