[Stoves] Air pollution in cities

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 04:47:07 CST 2017

On 20 November 2017 at 10:05, CHRISTA ROTH <stoves at foodandfuel.info> wrote:
> Well done Anil,
> regards from Entebbe city. where I just had to close the window to avoid the
> smoke coming over from the neighboring  compound. They are trying to burn
> the rubbish and the leaves they swept together this morning. As everything
> is wet after from the rain, you can imagine the smoke from the smoldering
> fire.  That is daily practice in many places, not only in East Africa

Christa, the burning of autumn leaves has nearly died out in urban UK,
mostly because the local authority have a paid for, in addition to the
normal municipal waste, collection service for garden waste as well as
civic amenities sites where it can be deposited for free.

It strikes me this is a resource worthy of use in "legacy foundation"
medium density briquettes for cooking fuel.

It would also serve as a source of biochar rather than being composted
as is the practice here.

Andrew