[Stoves] Air pollution in cities

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Mon Nov 20 07:46:36 CST 2017

On 20 Nov 2017 at 10:47, Andrew Heggie wrote:

> Christa, the burning of autumn leaves has nearly died out in urban UK,
> mostly because the local authority have a paid for, in addition to the
> normal municipal waste, collection service for garden waste as well as
> civic amenities sites where it can be deposited for free.
>
> It strikes me this is a resource worthy of use in "legacy foundation"
> medium density briquettes for cooking fuel.
>
> It would also serve as a source of biochar rather than being composted
> as is the practice here.

Composted autumn leaves makes for a very high quality fertilizer/soil
amendment, and to burn them in open heaps in gardens is an ignorant waste
my family were no less guilty of participating in until switching to
composting.  I would expect their value as a soil improver for fertility
and soil structure to be in excess of their fuel value.  My parents clay
soil garden was totally transformed over the years (50) from the 'leaf
mould' they made from the fall from their 30 or so mature deciduous
trees.  I remember an experiment at the Henry Doubleday organic garden
centre at Ryton near Coventry comparing the size of cabbages grown with
different soil amendments, and the leaf mould winning hands down.

You only have to go back to before the ban came in in 1993 in England to
know what stubble burning was like.  I can remember a day in the Essex
countryside where the midday sun was a dull orange glow in a smoke filled
atmosphere for miles.  Horrendous madness.  After the ban some of those
farms installed straw bale boilers which met all their heating needs year
round.

Neil Taylor