[Stoves] China and cookstoves [Was Re: A user-centered, iterative engineering approach for advanced biomass cookstove design and development]

Paul Anderson psanders at ilstu.edu
Thu Nov 30 09:05:50 CST 2017

Cheng and all,   (and a mention of Todd Albi).     see below.

Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu
Skype:   paultlud    Phone: +1-309-452-7072
Website:  www.drtlud.com

On 11/29/2017 10:15 PM, lh cheng wrote:
> Another Chinese little project. Surely, it is cookstove, not heater.
> Too expensive, 1500RMB (230 USD), in rural area, a big number, very
> big, no one buy, not even one, in rural area. For user, many
> uncertainties to use new type of stove. if free of charge, a
> trustworthy friend who is an expert about this stove, that might be fine.
I was wondering about the price of that pellet burner stove.  Yes, it is
expensive, but expensive is a relative term.   It could be imported into
America where $230 is inexpensive, but the price here would be so much
higher and it would then be expensive here.

> stove thing should be open-source ( just like Dr Anderson's Champion
> Stove ), DIY, or made by acquaintance, it is something about family, a
> cultural thing, especially in country side. In city, electricity or
> LPG is enough.
Is there any prospect in China for DIY.   And what would be the
acceptance of a stove made with thin metal?   Generalizing, it seems
that heavy construction of stoves is the standard in China.   Todd Albi
might be able to shed some light on this.

> a good approach for stove design maybe is that, basic knowledge of
> stove design spread among people, and people help each other.
What do you have in mind?    in the context of China?   I have
difficulty imagining stove design work in China outside of the factory
context.

> concerning "stove intervention", during 1959-1961 in China, more than
> 30 millions of people died because a stove intervention movement. and
> people have memories.
Please provide more information about this statement about 30 million
deaths.

Welcome to the world of the Stoves Listserv.   We appreciate your insights.

Paul