[Stoves] Stove testing -

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 17:51:43 CDT 2017

Paul: (and others)

Yes, when Rachel Kyte has left tomorrow's LPG Summit for Development, she
would have a better idea of how much money can practically go to advance
LPG markets and what is the "burden left on the table." (This I am
borrowing from Ajay Pillarisetti and Kirk Smith. They advocate complete,
irreversible transition to LPG without which there is still a computed,
concocted "burden of disease" left on the table, which there would be
anyway because of other sources of pollution. I am a habitual pervert, so I
turn around to mean "burden left on the table" after the practical limits
on LPG have been reached.)

----
Here is my radical suggestion:

GACC was turned into a Global Campaign for Gas Cooking. (GCGC). Which is
fine, considering the circumstances at the global level. No doubt gases
(including biogases), liquids (including kerosene and bioliquids)  and
electricity (no matter how generated) have ready devices that generate
versatile, flexible cooking options, transform kitchens and immediate human
environments.

However, there is no way the WHO/Kirk Smith propaganda of "dirty fuels
kill" is going to make any difference to the lives of the 2 billion people
(including some 400 million people in India who would not make a complete,
irreversible transition to gas cooking over the next five years).

So, the time is now ripe to shift attention to the poor, who are of far
many more colors and cultures, cuisines and habits, but have access to
lower-cost local fuels.

This attention should be in the form of targeting all segments of the
cooking market where bio-origin fuels can compete with LPG at full-cost
accounting and solid biomass stoves and furnaces, boilers for all customers
an all uses.

It should also include modernization of the biomass fuels production and
delivery chains.

At the real BOP, micro-gasifiers with charcoal production are a promising
technology to improve the welfare of the poor in several ways -- not just
cooking a meal at a time but storing fuel for longer term or using for
space heating and other purposes, or selling it in the market.

These are just quick thoughts. I will have to organize this is better
language.

All I mean is to put the case for solid fuel stoves - you and I may differ
on coals, which are pretty limited in use, but not insignificant - in the
proper context of food and primary fuel sources, and residential
environments.

Tami's "Human Environment" instead of UNFCCC's "global environment."
Environmentalism for the poor, of the poor, by the poor. You and I ought to
be ready to put our knowledge to use. Instead of pursuing WHO goals.

Nikhil

(*) Nor is Modi's campaign in India going to drastically reduce the deaths
and DALYs currently attributed to HAP. I don't know if I have written this
before, but India's under-5 mortality declined at an average annual rate of
4.3% from 2000 to 2016. Kirk Smith still goes around claiming 0.9 million
die annually of HAP in India. Five years from now, WHO would cook up the
state and national estimates of HAP PM2.5 concentrations like Balakrishnan,
et al. (2013) did from a few weeks of measurements in 617 households in
four states of India, then modeling this way and that. The concentrations
would presumably go down, under-5 mortality may go down or not so fast
(nutrition and maternal health being a major risk factor and perhaps air
and water pollution from open defecation and animal manure). Deaths
reduction will be attributed to HAP reduction using revised IERs and GBD
databases. This is not science.

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*