[Stoves] About LPG and India and biomass stoves

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Oct 4 16:48:32 CDT 2017

Andrew and list:

	See inserts below

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 3:18 PM, Andrew Heggie <aj.heggie at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 4 October 2017 at 14:52, Paul Anderson <psanders at ilstu.edu> wrote:
>
>> What happens to the char is
>> up for discussion, and I mean discussion at the local level of the people
>> who actually have the char from the TLUD stoves.  The "talk" of biochar
>> means nothing if biochar is not of interest (or is not of benefit) to the
>> households who created the char.
>
> I agree yet we still seem to be unable to ascertain a value for char,
> to the stove owner, other than its fuel value, yet in the developed
> world people are making biochar, not utilising the heat given off in
> the process and yet apparently receiving voluntary carbon credits.

	[RWL:   You are correct.  The value of biochar is (hopefully) coming down - as sellers are getting ridiculously high prices (like $1500/tonne - or in small quantities well over $2.00/kg - and often selling by cubic foot.)   The word is also getting out id developing countries.

> My personal hope was that TLUD devices would  be accepted for their
> low particulate emissions and would have liked to discuss this
> further, especially in respect to how emissions change with moisture
> content  or when the char is consumed at end of burn or not.

	[RWL:   Andrew - don’t be in despair (replace “hope was … would..” with “hope is … will…”).   We will continue to hear plenty on moisture and end-of-run consumption  - and making money while one cooks.  Does anyone know of any other stove type where cooking costs can be negative?

Ron