[Stoves] Aprovecho's ISO certificates

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 21:21:12 CDT 2017

Crispin:

Another thing -  when you bring up LEMS hood, are you saying that Aprovecho
uses LEMS and that Berkeley (UC? BAMG?) analyzed the equipment to conclude
that it could not rate stoves beyond Tier 3.5 for some emissions? Or
efficiency?

This may be significant since to my recollection, EPA did not bring in
PM2.5 regulations for regulated entities until 1997. From what I remember
of EPA approved laboratories for PM2.5 emissions for residential wood
heaters - i.e., heating stoves - Aprovecho wasn't one of them.

Now, Aprovecho may not want to test for wood heating stoves in the US and
nonetheless want to test and certify wood cookstoves for the developing
world. What I am wondering is whether by setting Tier 4 for PM2.5 emissions
as low as EPA did in IWA 2011:12,  and lower than those for US NSPS for
residential wood heaters, EPA was setting up the ISO exercise in such a way
that no wood cookstove would be tested above 3.5 Tier.

Weirder things are known to happen with EPA.

To your knowledge, is this a protocol issue or an equipment issue, or both?
Who certifies LEMS equipment and for what purpose?

I will check if the MIT D-Lab report mentioned PM2.5 Tiers and individual
stove types' ratings. Could well be that between Lima Consensus and IWA and
then TC-285 - some three years, or five years from when Gina McCarthy and
Hillary Clinton first started talking about Jacob Moss' business plan for a
cookstove entity outside the US government but under its influence -
something happened that shifted GACC from "clean cookstoves" to "clean
fuels".

I have a rough guess about what that "something" might be, but probably
marginal to Aprovecho. I hope Dean can explain this LEMS and PM2.5 history.

Nikhil