[Stoves] Pertinent stove health/climate article

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Mon Sep 4 17:25:53 CDT 2017

	This following stove article was recommended as I was reading something else.  I apologize if it has been mentioned earlier on this list.  In skimming it looks pertinent to our recent discussions - and (thank goodness) is free.  I don’t propose to fully read and critique it until someone either pans it or praises it.  Reason - it doesn’t cover my interests.

	This might be a good time to repeat my favorite stove combination - which somewhat coincides with the LPG preference of this article.  It is LPG from renewable biomass sources - IF (repeat IF) the liquid LPG is made locally AND accompanied by a locally produced biochar.  I thought Kirk Smith bought into that in a side conversation at the U Iowa stove meeting earlier this year - in part because every country would rather produce than import anything.  Many or most countries (with or without stove-health issues_ can make their own bio-LPG.  The accompanying biochar should be (and soon will be) supported by climate oriented carbon credits - paid for by folks like we on this list.

	I hope someone can reproduce their work with char-making stoves which would place some points in the 4th (negative ordinate [negative carbon]) quadrant of their important first page figure.

	I also have not given up on future char-making stoves doing much better of the abscissa (health) axis.  We already know of TLUDs that perform better than the Phillips stove.   But I have no reason to think their data is incorrect. It looks well written.  They just didn’t get to my interest areas.

	This 2017 article is at http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.6b05557 <http://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.est.6b05557>
In-Use Emissions and Estimated Impacts of Traditional, Natural- and Forced-Draft Cookstoves in Rural Malawi
Roshan Wathore,† Kevin Mortimer,‡ and Andrew P. Grieshop

Ron