[Stoves] News: National Geographic on promotion of gas stoves over improved woodstoves - in Guatemala

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Sep 5 22:40:21 CDT 2017

Nikhil and ccs

> On Sep 5, 2017, at 8:53 PM, Nikhil Desai <pienergy2008 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Ron:
>
> I submit there is no such things as “international standards" until incorporated in national regulations, if any enforcement is intended.
	[RWL:1  I think you are misunderstanding the expected output of TC285.  Nothing approaching “enforcement” is intended.   As I understand the output of the TC 285 group (to be in 4 parts - with the most important coming out soon), these are intended mainly to help stove developers to improve their products and to educate potential buyers on how individual stoves have done in specific tests.   I doubt you will see the word “enforcement” anywhere.  The emerging stove “industry” is a long way from being ready for that.

	I hope that if a manufacturer says his/her stove is “all Tier 4’s” - and testing has shown “all Tier 2” was closer - then I hope that manufacturer is called out publicly.

> The real thankless work will come after ISO issues standards in persuading that these be adopted in national regulations, especially when they won’t be incorporated in US regulations.
	[RWL2:  There might be some national stove regulations I suppose - but I doubt that.  Especially in the US (where very few of the tested stoves will ever be sold).

> There are many countries where appliance and equipment standards of manufacturing countries are adopted by some blanket agreement or if the government itself buys under external finance from countries or multi-lateral institutions (e.g. power plant or mining/manufacturing equipment.)
	[RWL3:  I suppose this is true, but don’t see how this applies to any TC 285 activity or output.

> I agree with you that the concept of Tiers is awful. Consensus or not.
	[RWL4:  Apologies.  Obviously, my term “weird” was unhelpful.  What I meant was that I doubt that “Tiers” appear at all in any other ISO document.    So “weird” as in “rare” or “non-standard".

		Rather, I think the “Tiers” concept was brilliant - and I fully endorse it.  For one, they are sufficiently broad that all should recognize that different testers will come up with numbers that are acceptable if they are within a few tenths of a tier.  Example: an efficiency computation of 37% by one tester should be considered as valid as another of 35% for the same stove - both are known as Tier 3.  The lower efficiency score could have been entirely due to a tester (maybe the same one) filling his coffee cup at just the wrong time.  Or a slightly different fuel or moisture content - etc.

	If the initial group had not (unanimously??) settled on Tiers - I think we would today be several years behind where we are in stove improvement.  I only know the process second hand (mostly at a half dozen stove conferences and this site), so hope others will correct me where wrong.

	What would you have proposed to replace the tier concept?

Ron