[Stoves] Fwd: [stove, climate, politics] Now a political commissar at EPA

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Sep 6 08:34:15 CDT 2017

Stovers:

	1.  Here is the part of the WaPo’s Monday story -  to explain why Professor Smith inserted “stoves” in his thread title:

James L. Connaughton, who was chairman of the White House Council on Environmental Quality under Bush, said new administrations routinely do “a soup-to-nuts review of the previous administration’s programs” and advance their own priorities through funding decisions.
“Some of the efforts might be more transparent than others, but let’s not fool ourselves,” he added.

Still, Connaughton said it was fair to question a review’s outcome. Two of the awards the EPA’s leadership rescinded — $1.1 million to the U.N. Foundation and a nearly $148,000 award to the nonprofit organization Winrock International — supported the deployment of clean cookstoves in the developing world. The U.N. Foundation grant grew out of a 15-year-old EPA program with the private sector, which aims to curb the kind of pollution that fuels climate change and disproportionately affects women and children.

The program addressed pollution that enters the air and “affects all of us,” Whitman said. “It was also good for human health in those countries, which we wanted to have stable for national security.”

Bowman said the agency was pulling back grants to international entities that are not “providing results for American taxpayers.”

But several U.S. firms that sell stoves and equipment benefit from the program, countered Radha Muthiah, chief executive of the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves. “It’s a cutting-edge solution to one of the world’s oldest challenges, it’s working, and there is a lot still to be done,” she said in a statement.

        2.  I saw the same behavior in the 1980’s with President Reagan.  The winner was Germany.    This time, the big winner will be China.  This is idiotic suicidal behavior.

Ron