[Stoves] Fwd: [stove, climate, politics] Now a political commissar at EPA

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 09:49:26 CDT 2017

Ron:

Thank you. October came sooner than I had feared. There is still no
decision on FY 2018 Budget, so let's hope on the way to budget
reconciliation, the Congress restores funding for these programs.

I can't remember when a whole Fiscal passed on Continuing Resolution basis,
as would be the case FY 2017 ending on 30th September. (For non-US readers:
the Federal Government here runs from 1 October to 30th September. If a
budget is not in place by 30th September, the Congress keeps on
re-authorizing, on a rolling basis, budget authority from the previous
Fiscal. This past Fiscal, no budget was ever passed.)

Who knows what this Congress and this President would do in the next few
weeks.

More to the point - we have here a case of a political appointee
systematically canceling some authorized expenditures. With a total of $2
million?? This is all so Republicans can claim "draining the swamp"??

Concerned US citizens should write to their Congress people. This Konkus -
with background serving a conservative media and mass e-mail company
<http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2017/09/05/report-tallahassee-political-operative-ferrets-out-rejects-epa-climate-change-grant-requests/632984001/>
-
is a good lightning rod.

And I may be able to help Crispin write a grant proposal to Alaska
government for some ANCs (Alaska Natives Corporation, for whom I worked
decades ago) on super-efficient coal stoves using Alaskan coal.

Elections have consequences. A cynic might remember the days when throwing
in the words "climate change" would get a grant passed.

For a rallying cry, read Joe Romm at Trump EPA cuts life-saving clean
cookstove program because it mentions climate change
<https://thinkprogress.org/trump-epa-kills-life-saving-grants-d40d53ab89ff/>
ThinkProgress
5 September 2017.

Romm - if I recollect properly, a political appointee under Clinton who
might have pushed a lot of USDOE grants to all things related to "Climate
Change" (and what is not?) - asks, "How many people will die because Trump
appointees hate anything climate related?"

Prof. Smith might have an answer.

The NYT piece Romm cites from 2010 says "Every year, according to the
United Nations, smoke from these stoves kills 1.9 million people, mostly
women and children, from lung and heart diseases and low birth weight."

In five years, the number more than tripled. Prof. Smith's Millions Dead
paper (2014) explains how.

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*