[Stoves] stoves and credits again

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 14:45:58 CDT 2017

Ron:

I was just curious what drives heated debates about Tiers.

You know my skepticism about fuel efficiency as a relevant metric - I don't
see it tied to any directly measurable impact that has universal
applicability (rate of deforestation, climate, women's time and safety,
whatever). Hence I don't really bother with efficiency test protocols,
though I happen to be allergic to WBT from the very first time I reviewed
the literature, back in 1983 (and then some occasionally as seen from World
Bank reports and projects).

However, my major discomfort is with WHO hourly average PM2.5 emission
rates from solid fuel combustion. I can't see any evidence-based logic here
converting such hourly average rates in to annual exposures, net of other
sources of PM2.5, and then to some "health benefit". That's where HAPIT
comes in, of course; it falls on the weight of its own burden of
assumptions and assignments. (That is, unlike a kilo of wood going farther
because of efficiency, there is no aDALY without a baseline DALY and a
computed aDALY for the duration of a stove intervention. Nobody can weigh
an aDALY, which is why I am ready to sell my DALYs.)

If you believe IWA Tiers are cast-in-stone, I am afraid there room for
disagreement. I don't believe the IWA or test protocols (WBT) are legally
adopted in any donor country, so I would be glad to challenge any official
RFP that demands Tier 4 performance from biomass cookstoves and puts them
through WBT protocol.

Where do Biolite, Envirofit, etc. go to get their emission rates officially
certified in the US? Is there a federally recognized "test facility" for
cookstoves in that size range?

I may be ignorant, but I am not incurious.

Nikhil

On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 12:39 PM, Ronal W. Larson <rongretlarson at comcast.net