[Stoves] News: Dublin deaths from "renewable energy" - wood and peat heating

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 22:39:49 CST 2018

Crispin, all others:

"From May 2019 it will be illegal to burn unprocessed coal in Ulaanbaatar
in spite of that city having the most advanced coal stoves designed in a
purpose-built research facility.  There is a distance between the rule
makers and the product they are ruling."

1. Is it time to accept defeat, despite some 15 years of World Bank effort,
and go home? (I was in Mongolia 20 years ago on electricity and heat
tariffs and had another involvement around 2006. I remember the stoves
discussion over the years.)

2. What faith can still be had that all that needs to be done is accept ISO
TC-285 "voluntary" performance standards and magic "truly health
protective" solid fuel stoves will emerge?

"Unfortunately the mania about not burning the only fuels most people can
afford is not very well informed."

3. Rather, ignorance and fashion prevail. I am thinking of Kirk Smith's
consulting piece for the Mongolia Ministry of Health. With his long-held
untenable belief that unprocessed solid fuels are dirty by definition, I
can imagine this ban on unprocessed fuels can be traced to the Health folks
poking their nose where it does not belong.

No problem. People will use the fuels they can get. Heating is not a matter
of choice.

But the academic adventurism will earn many PhDs and journal articles.

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*