[Stoves] Charcoal producers protest ban

Andrew Heggie aj.heggie at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 05:01:55 CST 2018

On 30 January 2018 at 08:37, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

> Dear Rogério ‎
>
> What great news. I think there is abundant evidence that the the only way
> to manage the charcoal market is to legalise it. In country after country,
> those that choose good management do well and forests become sustainable
> resources. Where the opposite prevails, gangsters and officials collude to
> pillage the resources of the community.

Agreed

In England there was legislation to protect coppice for charcoal production
from Tudor times. The fear wasn't that of the charcoal making threatening
the sustainability it was to protect from landowners wishing to graze,
mostly sheep for wool, on cut over land, thus preventing trees from
regrowing.

Andrew