[Stoves] Stove types and poverty [Was Rogerio: Pro-publicaarticle out]

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:41:48 CDT 2018

Crispin, Paul:

Cleaner burning of coal in more efficient power plants with particulates
and flue gas controls - located away from population centers - has done
more to improve ambient air quality in US, Europe, JANZ, and even China and
India, than any other single technological miracle.

Go ahead, prove me wrong. Electrification did a lot more to productivity
increase than mere gasification, which is still in early stages in much of
the non-OECD world.

So "clean burning coal" - as power - has not only made rich people
healthier, it has so far undoubtedly helped poor people get richer. Coal's
contribution - not everywhere - was in simply being lower-cost and
promoting electrification. And this cost advantage is now shrinking, along
with that of nuclear, and gas has a sizable window for the next few decades
in many places.

I agree TLUD should not be restricted to "biomass" alone. Fuel fetishism is
so 20th Century.

On the other hand, I fully respect Paul's wishes; I suggest getting a
trademark registered for "Champion TLUD" stoves and a couple of other
names, just so that a greater variety can be marketed. A coal or lignite
TLUD would have to be called a "Trump TLUD".

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
*Skype: nikhildesai888*