[Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 95, Issue 28

Norbert Senf norbert.senf at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 14:22:16 CDT 2018

> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 12:15:41 -0400
> From: alex english <aenglish444 at gmail.com>
> To: Discussion of biomass cooking stoves
>         <stoves at lists.bioenergylists.org>
> Subject: Re: [Stoves] Stoves Digest, Vol 95, Issue 26 top lit updraft
>         burning
>

> Hi Norbert,
> You have probably already considered a (non verbal) retort placed in the
> firebox as one portion of a fuel pile. It would give a hydrogen boost to
> the wood flame.
>
> Do the emissions from your heaters  measurably increase when burning a fuel
> pile that is half of a normal full load? The biggest problem in solid fuel
> combustion seems to be load matching and all the cascading issues it
> creates.

Hi Alex:
No, have never considered this.
Our testing to date has been mainly to get a handle on the "EPA number" for
PM,
and look at the variables that a normal user would encounter, such as size,
moisture, etc.

Nobody really had (has) a handle on test repeatability,  so we spent a
considerable amount
of time on that. We found that the Condar portable PM sampler, which you
have used,
itself is super repeatable, but the cordwood batch burn is only around +/-
20% on a good day
on (EPA) PM. Dimensional lumber cribs are around +/- 10%.
Repeatability is considerably better on CO and efficiency, however.

When we tabulated around 100 runs of all kinds on a single stove, the
largest repeatable effect
on PM turned out to be whether the 4.5" thick firebrick firebox was warm
from a fire 24 hours previously,
or not. The next biggest effect was from a new combustion  air system
developed by the Austrians
http://www.heatkit.com/research/lopez-2014-03-01.html
which gives roughly a 50% PM reduction to under 1 g/kg.
Not that we didn't play around with a bunch of air systems ;-)

Best ............ Norbert
--
Norbert Senf
Masonry Stove Builders