[Stoves] ESPs for stove solidfuel PM2.5?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Tue Nov 20 21:45:09 CST 2018

Dear Nikhil

There is no doubt that cooking emissions in the home are a problem for modern structures because of the low air turnover.

Of particular importance are animal oils (fish for example) that are over-heated and evaporated. They will be high in BaP and other PAH’s.

I was looking at the Kyrgyz Republic indoor air quality measurements from Fresh Air, Netherlands. It is rare to find a home that is below 25 µg/m3 even after installing a good stove.

Boots on the floor, smoking and cooking provide almost 100% of the IAP once the stove is taken care of.

As for the use of electrostatic precipitators and catalytic converters, they have both been promoted recently in Ulaanbaatar at a cost equal to or above the cost of providing a highly advanced new stove. In other words they are willing to spend more money to clean up emissions instead of preventing them in the first place.

There is a device promoted by the Japanese for ≈10 years now that is installed into the chimney that is electrically heated and can reduce PM emissions, but it doesn’t work on the new products because there is nearly nothing to remove.

Run properly the PM output is about 0.006 g/kg burned. Run badly it is about 4 or 5 times that: 0.030 g/kg. It is not worth spending hundreds of $ per installation to reduce that further.

I see one of the stoves at the competition in DC reached 0.42 with wood.  That’s pretty good.

Crispin, others:

Have there been proposals to use air purifiers and smoke masks with solid fuel cookstoves?

Emissions can be captured, filtered, vented; I wonder if commercial and industrial cookstoves have used not just chimneys but also filters and collectors for fuel and food air pollutants. (I remember Necco confectionary mills' sweet emissions up the street from MIT, and fishy, oily emissions near the Boston wharf. The Global Burden of Disease from food air pollutants must be quite significant, no?)

After all, food emissions are likely to be as diverse and as toxic (for PM2.5, equitoxic by assumption) as solid fuel emissions.

Something for Berkeley Earth and Berkeley Heavens to do, or do we have answers?

Nikhil

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831
Skype: nikhildesai888