[Stoves] ***SPAM*** AW: The Economist

scda2 at t-online.de scda2 at t-online.de
Mon Sep 10 07:07:42 CDT 2018

I was posting this article as spam, can someone copy it and post it for me
thanks (its just frustrating typing an article for an hour an than not be
able to send it.....)

Subject: Wood fuel plantation for sustainable charcoal production

Dear All,
i was told or i did read that in Rwanda it’s one of the unique countries in
Africa where wood fuel plantations are popular with the farmers population
and charcoal production is kind of regenerative (peri-urban fuel-wood
plantation, perennial cash crop and fuel).

However recently I visited the area of Bahir Dar (Lake Tana) in Ethiopia
and I was very much surprised seeing many wood fuel plantation from about
50km on along the road to Addis Abeba. Piles of timber everywehre!
Actually the charcoal production in this area has a status of being legal
due to the wood plantations. Mainly a eucalyptus kind is used up to the
town of Marawi and Dubate. The wood is transported by donkeys chariots to
central place to sort out the wood into 3 categories: wood for
construction, wood for fuelwood, wood for carbonization.
The eucalyptus tree plantation are used for several harvesting cycles as
new shoots are growing from the stems cut.
We might launch an EU financed project to introduce retort kilns. We might
have one obstacle: now the workers are used to operate large earth mound
kilns (28 steps to walk around), but retort kilns (adam-retort) only have a
3m³ relatively small wood chamber.

After the town of Addis Kidami mainly an acacias tree is planted. There is
a different harvesting method, after about 5 years of growing, the trees
including the root stunk are harvested and are decentralised carbonized at
the place. The plantation is later transferred into an agricultural teff
grain filed. Interestingly the farmers already discovered that at the
places where charcoal was made, a “bio char” effect is visible and they
start to distribute some of the charcoal dust over their fields.
Chris A.

-----Original-Nachricht-----