[Stoves] ND TLUD Basics

neiltm at uwclub.net neiltm at uwclub.net
Sun Sep 16 16:28:40 CDT 2018

Thank you all for your replies, I need more time to do justice to
investigating what Paul and others have directed my attention to, so will
have to come back later on most of these considerations.  But just for
now:

I would indeed still like to understand more about air ratios and overall
air volume to stove size for getting a non eye-watering burn with near
zero moisture fuel as a starting point, so Julien Winter's work sounds
interesting, and I would be happy to be pointed to anything online if
there is anything.

I've had clean non eye-watering burns with the Chinese ND camp stoves
sometimes, but not often as it seems designed primarily for robustness of
the fire and adaptability to fuel of varying moisture content, so I find
it hard to imagine taking a different stove camping now.  With Tom Reed's
woodgas campstoves it was easier to achieve a non eye-watering burn
because he clearly prioritised clean emissions, and it was nice not to
have soot on the pans, but in use with more marginal fuel it could also
be eye-watering, and in general was less tolerant of the fuel variations
inevitably encountered in the wild.  If I was building my own FA-TLUD I
would have a great starting point in those stoves, but would like to find
that useful starting point with ND.

One problem of course is acquiring an endless supply of tins (cans) with
which to try different possibilities.  I have a peko-pe type stove with
concentrator, but no chimney, that delivers a good cooking flame. It is
also a fantastic char producer, with little or no ash at the end of
pyrolysis, which I appreciate for supplying the BBQ. The concentrator
hole is cut in the base of a Kodak tin which contained 5.5inch aerial
film that I acquired in the 1970s when I used to work with this, and I
have precious few of them now!

I looked at building one of Paul's Champion stoves, but the prospect
seemed a bit beyond my current skills and resources, so am looking for
the most basic two can design, although if there is a feasible way to
vary the primary/secondary air ratio during the burn this could be the
ideal solution. I get from Paul that varying the primary air is the way
to go. Frans's idea of a 'perforated bandage' sounds like something I
have wondered about if it could be turned against side primary air holes
on the inner can, but haven't been able to think of a way of controlling
that with the outer can in place.  So I'm looking more for a fixed air
design, that might be optimal for the consistent dry fuel I can achieve
easily at home, but to get a better idea of what I'm doing in order to
perhaps then have a selection of inner cans that I can select for
different heat outputs/and perhaps more commonly experienced moisture
contents of wood found/stored outdoors.

As soon as I can I will take some shots of my current revisited from 9
years ago tincanium stove and to include the flame.

Thanks again for the ideas so far.

Best wishes,  Neil Taylor (in England)