[Stoves] Steps in the R&D of improved stove technologies

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 12:49:34 CDT 2019

Crispin:

Where does this come from?

By now, there is more than 50 years of work on "technology development" in
both business schools and engineering schools. I remember Ray Vernon's work
at the Harvard Business School in the 1960s, linked to international
competitiveness and "product cycle" theory.

"Technology policy" and "science policy" also started as disciplines around
then, and then became rather too complex to have such reductionist list you
have put out. There are fundamental questions about meaning of presumably
simple terms like "product" and "market", and a context of history,
politics, psychology.

Let me just say that we don't even have an agreement on what constitutes a
stove, what purposes it serves, and what is meant by "improvement", other
than the engineering silliness about "thermal efficiency".

Please, please, get over this. It has no general relevance.

It may, if you deign to explain a context.

Every "step" model has certain seductive appeal. Leave it to models on
catwalks. I could take every single sentence of this and work through a few
technological innovations I have watched rather closely - FGD, solar PV for
home and grid markets, and some appliances, like LED lanterns and
lightbulbs. (Electronic controls and data response are another set
altogether. Sometimes, as with electric motors and turbines, the primary
technology that makes the radical difference is lost sight of, and B-school
marketing types revel in the novelty of a product as marketed, not the
science behind it.)

Nikhil
Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831