[Stoves] Ghana news: Clean charcoal cookstoves to help solve climate change

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 21:45:07 CST 2019

Paul:

Your computations assume t hat a user has only one stove and that is
charcoal. I think the UNDP report estimate of per household charcoal use
for households that did use charcoal (unclear if exclusively)was about
600-700 kg a year. If the new stove reduces consumption by 50% - very
doubtful - that would mean 300-350 kg a year. Does that amount to 1 ton CO2
a year if the fNRB is not 1 but 0.5?

Is it possible Ghana had no choice but to sell cheap, given the uncertainty
about Article 6 of the Paris Agreement and the possibility that there would
be no carryover of carbon credits under the CDM to post-2020 regime?

Beggars can't be choosers. I am sure the South Koreans are spending a third
to a half of the money on implementation costs and computational
consultants.

If fuel use reduction is attractive to users, why are Koreans needed in the
first place?

Something is wrong, big time, in the way we have dreamed about carbon
finance for the poor. Even more so with biomass cookstoves.

This one story says Ghana has too much power and gas. Giving away gas and
electric stoves could be the win-win-win you are looking for.
https://www.myjoyonline.com/business/2019/November-15th/energy-surplus-leaves-ghana-paying-for-power-it-doesnt-need.php

Nikhil
Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831