[Stoves] Fwd: "The effects of fuel type and stove design on ..." - new citations

Cookswell Jikos cookswelljikos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 23:54:26 CST 2019

Hi Nikhil,

I've been hoping and waiting for one of these highly paid consultants or
think tank types to do a nice report on biomass cooking in business
settings in Kenya. From someone roasting maize on a street corner (outdoor
air pollution? inc. street grim landing on the food for sale?) to a lady
like this one in this short video, she not only grows her own trees to make
her own charcoal to roast 60 chickens in a day
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C5YcNksxGU> (she buys a live bird for 4$
and sells a 1/4 chicken for 6$! I some times think i'm in the wrong biz
selling stoves and not cooked food) but uses the oven for also baking sweet
potatoes for breakfast (buys them at $0.60c and sells one for 1$ for
breakfast tea) there is a huge industry around cooked food here. Even our
stove makers at our workshop dont cook their own lunch anymore but buy
something from a next door hoteli, they say they are too busy making
cookstoves to spend time cooking !

Anyway here is an interesting opinion piece that you might all find fun
reading over your holidays:

*“**However, the fire has far from disappeared. Thousands of individual
fires in households have been replaced by a few giant fires in central
power plants. And the fire also burns elsewhere. “In our economy of
abundance”, writes Stephen J. Pyne, “fire is at the heart of the magic – in
factories, automobiles, homes and power plants... Modern cities remain
fire-driven ecosystems... Shut down combustion and you shut down the city.
But open flame itself has vanished. Like a black hole in space, fire has
shaped everything around it without itself being visible.”*

*Industrialisation has only altered, not abolished burning. Most
importantly, fire started using another energy source: fossil fuels instead
of biomass. Until the twentieth century, almost all human-made fires were
the product of renewable energy sources: wood, grass, dung – peat and some
early uses of coal being the exceptions. Today in industrial societies,
almost all fire “at the heart of the magic” burns on gas, coal or oil.Fire
vs. ElectricityGlobally, a few billion people still live in households
built around an old-fashioned fire, often in the form of an open hearth.
Some people in the Western world consider this a backward and primitive
practice that needs to be abolished – even though it is based on the use of
renewable energy sources. For example, in 2011, the UN and the World Bank
launched the Sustainable Energy for All initiative, aiming to “ensure
universal access to modern energy services” by 2030. [5] The concept of
“modern energy services” is vague, but it essentially refers to the use of
electricity and gas – and thus, in practice, the use of fossil fuels. *
https://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2019/12/too-much-combustion-too-little-fire.html

I join you in your toast to wisdom on this quote " Finally, during
cookstove design attention should be focused on simplicity, reliability,
accessibility, economy and social culture. "

All the best to all you great stovers out there and happy new years!

Teddy

Teddy Kinyanjui
Sustainability Director

             <https://www.facebook.com/CookswellJikos>