[Stoves] Fwd: "The effects of fuel type and stove design on ..." - new citations

Nikhil Desai ndesai at alum.mit.edu
Thu Dec 26 20:35:31 CST 2019

Ron:

I believe I did read and comment on Paul's 2016 report soon after it came
out. I think I reacted favorably and asked Paul something about marketing
the charcoal.

I just did a quick review of Paul's paper and am cc'ing Sujoy and Sujatha
to see if they have something to add to the price of $0.12/kg under the
"charcoal buyback" scheme.

My question to them all and you is whether using the stoves for cooking
saleable food products has greater profit potential than selling mere
charcoal. Might obviate the need for silly "carbon market" earnings that go
to feeding consultants.

Yes, earning a profit from cooking, not just from cookstoves.

Cookstoves are not cooking. A simple fact that has been ignored in 50 years
of engineer tinkering with unreliable test protocols for standard fuels,
standard task (boiling water), standard use pattern for standard humanoids.

Yes, as Robert van der Plas pointed out about five years ago, "If we drop
WBT, what is saved? Are we not junking all received knowledge?" (My
paraphrasing of his words; I am writing from memory, and he was only
raising a question which I answered in the affirmative.)

Yes, too, in saving trees and climate, we have forgotten that food is
cooked to please the eater and that cooked food is profitable, though the
profit rates are as contextual as foods and ancillary technologies
(delivery of animal products, say) and preferences for timing, temperature
of service, and taste.

I hope someone else on this list narrates observations from real life, not
laboratories, about changes in the food economies of Third World (or for
that matter the First and Second Worlds) in the last 50 years. In my
traveling years, the only systematic trend I saw around the world, apart
from loss of forests (which may or may not have had anything to do with
cookstoves), was outsourcing the kitchen, preparation and sale of foods
outside the home.

Of course charcoal can be sold profitably. So can foods. Did you see Queen
of Katwe? Or notice Teddy's posts about charcoal sales to eateries in
Kenya? (I collected many such stories but just lost my hard drive and two
years of data not backed up, but I could start again.)

So here is a proposal to Paul and anybody else who has sold stoves that
have expanded income earning opportunities -- CAN WE PLEASE look at the
economy of cooking and foods, not just of fuels? In real life for real
people in real geographies?

I think this paper you cited - Samal, et al. (2019) - is a delightful
overview. (Samal cc'd here.) It is from a " 1st International Conference on
Manufacturing, Material Science and Engineering", which raises hopes that
material scientists and product designers may take the field of stove
design forward, past (I hope) the dead wood of what they have reviewed. (By
"dead wood" I mean the obsession with lab tests for irrelevant and
unreliable "performance metrics" like fuel efficiency, and instead focus on
pleasing the cooks for the real job of stoves - COOKING. (And hearing space
or water, for personal consumption or, again, for commercial
opportunities.)

As the authors conclude, " Finally, during cookstove design attention
should be focussed on simplicity, reliability, accessibility, economy and
social culture. "

I raise a toast to wisdom.

Nikhil Desai
(US +1) 202 568 5831