[Stoves] Fwd: Forward of moderated message

Ronal W. Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Tue Jan 8 23:37:50 CST 2019

List: cc Crispin

	Below, Paul has kindly replied below to my request for answers to Crispin's question (below) on differences and new results. There is an enormous amount of data hinted at below.  I've read a lot of it - but not yet all.  There are hints here on why the good results,  but still plenty of room for more advances possible by members of this list.

	I had no trouble getting to his Dropbox means of getting to his many different files.  Please let Paul or I know if you have a problem.

	The first (018.jpg) is a better image of the flame that I forwarded earlier.   Paul notes he might need to lower the pot a bit;  I hope we can have more discussion on that topic.  Here,  Paul reminds us of (and gives credit to) the excellent early TLUD stove work by Belonio.

	Then a paragraph (no URLS) on the lower stove components.  One surprise is some preheating of primary air.  Another - a much simplified bottom.

	Then a short paragraph (no URL) on his new fan/blower positioning.  Like the above, we could have a separate thread on this topic.

	Then a URL to nine jpg drawings of the full unit.  Paul is an expert with graphic software.

	Then a link to a 14 page Master's thesis by Australian Alli Devlin.  I thought very well don, but is missing her many citations.  I haven't tried to work it out, but looks like Paul has a Tier 5 stove; very high efficiency.  The final paragraphs make the important point that many countries suffering from a shortage of trees probably have plenty of ag wastes - that are perfect (as pellets) for TLUDs.  A strong case for the made-char going into soils as biochar.

	The final link is to a 189 page summary paper by Paul (dated today).  The stove portion is about 20 pages follow by some 20 pages on biochar.  The 14 page Alli Devlin piece is in here with some expansion.  I haven't tried to count, but there must be more than twice as many links and citations as pages.   I need still to return to dozens of leads.

	There is a lot here on hoods, health, venting vs capturing emissions, etc.   Paul has mentioned 25 papers by Dr.  Reg Preston on ag results of using biochar - mostly (all?) supplied by Paul.  Great technical data on why char-making stoves can be hugely important in developing countries.

	In sum, I believe most list members will gain a lot by devoting a few days to the rich material that Paul has provided free access to in the following reply from himself.
.

Ron