[Stoves] Blue flame of TLUD-FA with rice hull fuel RE: Moderated Message

Anderson, Paul psanders at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 11 20:58:42 CST 2019

Tony,

VERY interesting.   New to me.
This from Wikipedia about Thermite

Thermite (/ˈθɜːrmaɪt/<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA/English>)[1]<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermite#cite_note-1> is a pyrotechnic composition<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrotechnic_composition> of metal powder<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powder_metallurgy>, which serves as fuel<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel>, and metal oxide<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_oxide>. When ignited by heat, thermite undergoes an exothermic<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exothermic> reduction-oxidation<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redox> (redox) reaction. Most varieties are not explosive, but can create brief bursts of heat and high temperature in a small area. Its form of action is similar to that of other fuel-oxidizer mixtures, such as black powder<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder>.
Thermites have diverse compositions. Fuels include aluminium<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aluminium>, magnesium<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium>, titanium<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium>, zinc<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc>, silicon<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon>, and boron<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron>. Aluminium is common because of its high boiling point<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_point> and low cost. Oxidizers include bismuth(III) oxide<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth(III)_oxide>, boron(III) oxide<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boron(III)_oxide>, silicon(IV) oxide<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon(IV)_oxide>,…..

I hope that we can utilize this and then make progress about why the TLUD-FA stoves with rice hull fuel give such a nice, clean blue flame.

Some chemists might shed more light on this, please.

Is the flame blue if the rice hulls are pyrolyzed?

Paul

Doc / Dr TLUD / Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Exec. Dir. of Juntos Energy Solutions NFP
Email:  psanders at ilstu.edu<mailto:psanders at ilstu.edu>       Skype:   paultlud