[Stoves] Hello Stovers

Julien Winter winter.julien at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 21:17:19 CST 2019

Hello Mike;

The Magpi+ data input method looks nice.

However for statistical analysis, I find that the R programming language
worth getting to know for data manipulation, multiple regression techniques
and validation of relationships.  The R Project for Statistical Computing
is free.   There is a steep learning curve to program in R: one needs to be
familiar with data structures, coding, and graduate-level statistics.

On a smart phone, it is nice to have good forms.  The Magpi+ seems to do
well there, and can help guide interviewers through the process.  However,
I would prefer something that doesn't send your data to the cloud, but will
transferred it to a PC spreadsheet.  There could be privacy issues,
especially is one uses GPS coordinates as the identifier key of households
in a database.

What would be nice is reliable speech recognition in a cell phone that
could be used to save the answers to open questions as text.   Off-line
English transcription is still a bit buggy on Android phones.  On-line, I
am really impressed.  It has come a long way in the past 20 years.  But
what about the other 1000s of languages?

Cheers,
Julien.

--
Julien Winter