[Stoves] The Blues

Nikhil Desai pienergy2008 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 10:59:10 CST 2019

Tom:

I agree with your characterization of the differences between Europe and US
on biomass power and would only add that a) US grids being much larger and
longer have permitted absorption of cheaper solar and wind generation
within state and inter-state markets, and b) in some cases, solar and wind
compete on peak that biomass cannot.

The question is, are there areas of large-scale biomass waste with smaller
grids and can be valorized for a higher return? There are probably pockets
in the developing countries where land is ample and biomass waste has other
commercial values - e.g. direct combustion in brick kilns, industrial
furnaces and boilers. When it came to electricity, I used to believe that
small hydro is a superior alternative but I am disappointed. True, hydro is
easier to run than engines with biomass gas or biodiesels, and pricing of
independent electricity for distribution is another factor. But
self-generation by biomass should be revisited for the commercial and
industrial customers. For all we know, running a residential school or
hospital on biomass power for cooking, heating, and other electricity may
solve the air quality, waste management, and productivity problems at one
go.

I see a lot about PV/diesel hybrids. But next to nothing yet on PV/biomass
hybrids. Perhaps because of the problems in consistent quality and quantity
of biomass supplies or suppliers.

Nikhil