[Stoves] farmed fuels

Stoves stoves at foodandfuel.info
Thu Jun 20 10:00:49 CDT 2019

Kirk,
pigeon peas (Cajanus Cajan) grow better in Malawi, I am actually amazed that you managed to harvest something in the US.

And they are a wonderful fuel in any type of stove. In the gasification manual there are photos on page 49 (printed page number), in an artisanal copy of Paul Andersons Champion Stove. Worked really well, but we use it for any wood stove as well.

For the story have a look at the attached presentation. Many people have become self-sufficient on cooking energy, which makes a big difference for the natural resources in their areas. A friend did a specific campaign to encourage people to grow their own fuel by giving anybody who had bought a stove from him a kg of pigeon pea seed. That resulted in the photo on page 13.

In the south of Malawi you can hardly find a maize field without pigeon peas intercropped. FAO got interested in documenting this synergy of maize and pigeon pea, and sent me to Mozambique for the mentioned  case study.
Hope you like it

Best regards
Christa