[Stoves] Why Ujjwala Failed?

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Sun May 5 14:07:10 CDT 2019

Dear Sujoy

To made trading in char viable, you need a market. Is there an incense maker looking for it?

That may be the easiest local solution. You may had to grind it to powder and put it in a bag to have it look like “a product”. It can be run through a small hammermill with an appropriately sized screen. Cheap.

Do people take charcoal pills for digestive problems?  Making pills is easy.

One of the major uses of char in China is as a component of liquid fertilizer. Find out who makes that. Maybe no one…

++++++++

Hi Nikhil

Thank you for your email. Hope you are doing allright.

I get what you say about the fuel itself being dirty.

Over the course of the last few months, trying to promote the Anderson TLUD, I have come to  understand that most rural people still cook predominantly with biomass and will continue to do so. There is this whole issue about how firewood and charcoal is regulated and I will try to spend some time after the elections are over to understand the regulations.

Women do not take nicely to shaping wood for burning as is required in the TLUD and would rather continue with the convenience of shoving in whatever is available. In order to get the stoves out, I am tempted to offer shaped / cut wood to families , do you think this could work ? This would be accompanied by a charcoal buy back arrangement. I can see some kind of a rural cooking solution business - village store selling stoves and fuel [ including briquettes and pellets which are locally produced]. Could you tell me what you think.

I am yet to detail out the exercise, but your initial feedback will allow me to invest to understand how to promote clean burning wood pellet stoves.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards

Sujoy