[Stoves] Charcoal and Stoves

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Mon Jan 27 23:41:40 CST 2020

To be of benefit to this group, we should state clearly what is being represented and what is being misrepresented.

If the fuel fed into the fire (“Fuel Fed” being a term I think created by the late Prof Lloyd for the ISO standard) is measured, each time the task is replicated, then the answer is close to what a KPT will report. Sort of the actual fuel consumed.  In the case of the test of Kevin’s rock beds, SNV used the standard WBT formula which does not do that.  It is important to know that it does not. It reports what is really a proxy heat transfer efficiency with energy numbers converted into fuel mass.

Thus, the performance is over-rated.

For those who want to see how this affects real money from real stove projects, have a look at https://impact.sustain-cert.com/document_files/3377 and we will discuss it here.

If you are not familiar with this type of document, it is a good introduction.

+++++++++

I understood you to mean that the fuel was measured and the char discarded. If the stove is leaving char at the end of a cook but the char is not being accounted for than it shouldn’t matter what you do with the char. Does that make sense? I can see the misreporting problem.

Tom