[Stoves] Improved charcoaling with green house gases flaring

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Wed Dec 8 00:58:19 CST 2021

List and Rogerio (one of this list’s earliest contributors [and a great host when I visited him many years ago in Nicaragua - and now returned to his home in Brazil). -   and a real expert on all sorts of stoves and maybe some of the following)

	1.   Glad to see this non-stove topic as so much of this list’s discussion is on char-making.   These are extremely well done documents.

	2.  I’ve skimmed the first (construction) and third (kiln use - both in English) documents on these (probably very new ?) Brazilian char-making kilns.  I guess pertinent to this list as they are presumably much cleaner than the earlier versions- but there is no mention of the earlier - which had no chimney and I think always operated singly)..

	3.  I hope you can answer some and forward some to Yasmin or others:

	a.  What is the average yield of char?  Guessing more than  30%, as this is relatively low temperature char..  And they seem to have designed everything well.  Wth your help?

	b.  What is the average cycle time for each of the coupled 4 kilns?   3 days of operation and 3 days to cool, plus a day or so for loading means a minimum of 7-8 days.  But they probably never want three firing at the same time - yet want to have each idle as little as possible. But they also might not want to operate at night.   Any details on this? (Wondering also if they could get by with 3 rather than 4 kilns in sequence - if the kilns were a little smaller.)

	c.   There is a tremendous loss of valuable thermal energy with zero use of the pyrolysis gases (reaching 800 C).    Is there any way they can maybe find use for those gases?  (Transport wood to the steel mills,  encourage use of the heat for cement making, firing bricks, etc)?
	I have seen a video of 3 or 4 (?) TLUD 200 liter barrels that were run in  a similar “loop” fashion
.
	I believe some biochar production facilities are finding ways to collect some valuable pyrolysis liquids.  Could that be done here?

	d.  Would the steel industry accept char made in cookstoves (including planchas - if they could be converted)?

	e.   They must stop their pyrolysis at 360 C because the exothermic period ends about then.  Any more details on reasons for that particular temperature char?

	f.    Has anybody thought of a way to use the high thermal output to get the kiln load up to the exothermic period?

	g.   The loading with most wood being vertical (about 1.5 meters?) is interesting.  Has that always been the method of loading Brazilian kilns?  Any air flow or other differences from horizontally stacked wood?  Mandated with circular kilns?

	 h.   	Brazil may have more available crop residue than any other country.  Sugar cane bagasse may be the global leader in residue weight (I think still mostly unused).  Can that be used  to make char for the steel industry?  (or to make biochar in these or similar kilns?)

	  i.   Any studies yet of the magnitude of the improvement in air quality?   How soon can they  (the steel industry?) replace the old kilns with this new methodology?

	  j.   How many staff to operate 4 kilns - and is there always something for that staff to do during those two 3-day pyrolysis and cooling periods?   (This being of importance also possibly for biochar (not steel-making) reasons.)

`	  k.   Any other questions I should have asked?   Any expert analyses yet of this very interesting 4-kiln design?

Ron

	(with some apologies as I got carried away with the topic)