[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Patung-Patong Brick Stove , continued - part 4- Other, early

Ronal Larson rongretlarson at comcast.net
Thu Mar 18 23:33:29 CDT 2021

List,      cc. Jed

	This is  the fourth and last message responding to a long reply message from Jed on the 13th.    The first three responses covered 3 questions Jed had as he came back to the stoves list after several years away - this time with several major TLUD innovations .

	This response covers the first part of his original message - before he asked his 3 questions.

> 			<snip>

>> 			<snip.>
>

> On Mar 10, 2021, at 9:04 PM, Joshua Guinto <jed.building.bridges at gmail.com <mailto:jed.building.bridges at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Dear Fellow Stovers
>
> It has been awhile, please excuse me for my silence. Life and career here in the Philippines has not been gentle considering the series of disasters on top of the COVID 19 pandemic. I really "hit the ground" and am now just about getting up.
	[RWL1:   Did you have the virus?   Also recent hurricanes?   You looked well (and academic) in the video.

Yes we have so/too much of the COVID virus. And the Philippine Government, the top officials are not doing equally well than the counterpart frontliners. The numbers are between ebbing down and then shooting up again. Movement is between restricted and regulated. I am holding classes on line for 90 % of my students who have internet access. One of the campus of the school, where i am supposed to actively hold agricultural projects still serves as an isolation unit.

About hurricanes... we had the worst series last year. Three hurricanes in a row within two months. My solar dryers were totally destroyed and my bigger workshop totally damaged from a hurricane in the year earlier.

And so at the height of the lockdown, amidst the heavy checkpoints i was struggling to revive my projects. ...Hauling seaweeds all alone at the beach then making fertilizers for families who are trying to raise vegetable gardens for their food supply.

			RWL1’:  were these seaweeds pyrolyzed?   In general, how much biochar (seaweed or not) have you placed in the ground and how would you describe the.results?

> I now work as a university professor at the College of Agriculture and Natural Sciences of the Camarines Norte State College. simply put : CANR-CNSC.And being a novice professor, i had to learn the academic culture and work routines. But the exciting part for this academe community is the wealth of technology and experience i am infusing into the school.
	[RWL2;   Congratulations on this new well deserved position.

		ASIDE.    In googling for CNSC,  I see an attractive pentagon symbol - especially with the word “spectrum”  and five colors (in the right order!).    I think there could be a benefit if your six-sided (three bricks per layer) had a sister design with the five “trapezoid bricks” of the CNSC spectrum.  A swirl injection would be a natural on the secondary air layer as a short side of one trapezoid  butts up against a long side of a neighboring trapezoid.   More bricks, but a simpler shape to make.
	I’ve never seen a five-sided stove, but I’m pretty sure it would be better than the four-sided you have avoided with three bricks - each providing one side and two half-sides.		to other respondents - this will only make sense after you see the school’s ’spectrum” publication.

> Hmmmm,,,, a pentagon would seem doable... especially so if i will carve the logo of the CNSC into the bricks.
>
> The Patung - patong actually already has a swirl mechanism for its secondary air. They are off tangent holes built within the brick to promote the vortex of hot gases. It is more visible at the gasifier mode.

			RWL2’:   could you describe these last two comments a little more.  It looked like the secondary air holes had to go in perpendicularly,

				Are you saying that there is little vorticity in the Rocket mode?    Secondary air holes too high to influence the Rocket flame?

> And so to begin with i was asked to start doing research on the technologies i developed and on the top of the list is the cook stove i have been tinkering for almost a decade.
	[RWL3:  You could also do a world service by adding the biochar soil benefits to your workload.   I’m not sure there is any skilled stove designer so near to the agsoil benefits of his/her stove design (your now being in an “ag”  department)..

Exactly so. The stove i designed actually as a char making stove. But people do not buy it for char making properties but instead buy the stove for good cooking properties.  I should somehow make a separate and better marketing concept and strategy for the char making property.  Or perhaps target an entirely separate market segment.

			RWL3’:     Can you elaborate on “good cooking properties”?     Minimum fire tending?   Control of power level?

					I would think that making money by selling char (or self-using it) could be big soon - as carbon credits appear.  (I know nothing of carbon issues in the Philippines)

> I present to you the Patung-patong. (in Filipino it simply means put on top of one another). This stove i would like to bring to a technical evaluation using scientific parameters.
	[RWL3':   You certainly have the vertical description in this title - but the three bricks (or five) circumferentially is also a major feature worth promoting.
		Any data to report on commercial sales?

While we have sold close to a hundred for the past year, it is still slow. On the average, there is one stove sold every month.  This stove has to compete with what the households already have at their kitchen.... the charcoal and gas stoves.

But we have a recent breakthrough... the PIZZA HEX OVEN. This is our new product line. It is a brick oven inspired by the OONI pizza oven but built with my firebricks and is placed on top of the Patung-patong. I will tell you more about this on a separate conversation thread.

			RWL3”   Those looked very nice.  And reasonably priced.   I don’t know “OONi”.      Are the pizza ovens for private use by the wealthy - or vendors or ??

	Any other queries for Jed?   His has mad some major advances for TLUDs - as noted in all 4 of our exchanges.  Jed - again congratulations.

Ron