[Stoves] ***SPAM*** Re: Risk of CO poisoning with TLUDs

Crispin Pemberton-Pigott crispinpigott at outlook.com
Wed Sep 20 22:29:49 CDT 2023

Dear Julien

The statement is false because it involves two systems of action. The char, whether in a stove or dumped out, is one system of action and produces at least some CO at some rate.

“Safe” can only be described in terms of a given environment which in this context could be a kitchen. The char emitting CO is a system nested within the kitchen system. Char cannot have the attribute “safe” in this context and attributing “safety” to char is a synecdoche.

The kitchen could be “safe to occupy” because of the combination of emission rate, volume, air change rate and physical location of an occupant. One can say the occupant is being “exposed” but exposure does not guarantee inhalation because CO being light, may rise to the ceiling and be inaccessible.

If safe is defined as an air concentration near the occupant, one can claim it is safe. However that is not something one can say about the char.

There is a technical report coming from Working Group 1 (of ISO TC 285) which discusses this concept specifically. It is also discussed in the work of WG 4. One cannot say a stove is, by itself, safe unless the context of the kitchen is also considered. The kitchen is nested within a home, usually, and the home within a neighbourhood and so on.

The nested systems discussion is an attempt to show  how to describe risks and benefits appropriately. Like the char CO, people were attributing to a fuel something related to the kitchen, or to the stove as described above.

This is most relevant when discussing the strange manner in which fuels are classified as “clean” or “dirty”. Fuels don’t have such attributes. The device consuming the fuel produces emissions (or not). To find out if using a fuel produces emissions the product has to be tested burning it.

The residual char is nested within a smouldering pile which is nested in a kitchen in a house. So, define “safe”.  Is it based on inhaled mass? Exposure time? Concentration? Emission rate? Total mass emitted?

Opinions differ.

Have fun
Crispin