[Gasification] Range Fuels Closing Plant

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Jan 24 17:25:14 CST 2011

Jim,

Just making light of public funding.

The appropriate use of public funding is to offset risk on new technologies.
The funds are not free. Private companies often prefer to forgo public
funding simply because of the time and costs involved in obtaining the
funding and managing the project. I think US Department of Energy has not
been pleased with the results from their funding of the "Integrated
Biorefinery" pilot projects in general but it is a multimillion dollar
effort and there will be failures.

Range Fuels published very little about their process, even to funding
agencies. Early on I understood that it involved slow pyrolysis as a first
step. As such it presumably should have been a good process for making
synthesis gas and biochar. Perhaps like some other processes another company
will pick up the pieces and eventually make renewable fuels.

Tom