[Gasification] Continuing

David david at h4c.org
Thu Jul 21 00:37:32 CDT 2011

Dr. Reed,

On 7/20/2011 12:27 PM, Thomas Reed wrote:
> Dear Phil and all
>
> Phil seems concerned about getting the "right" bacteria.  My impression is "if you vuildmit, they will come".

Anaerobic life has proven ubiquitous, indeed, so wherever conditions
are right-- a biogas digester, a stagnant pond, one's own gut--
anaerobes indeed "show up". One may want to gather inoculates from
various sources-- cow manure, ground up termites-- and put those
things in the digester, but it is not certain that will assist in
producing more biogas. Regardless, given that the digester will be a
very complex ecosystem exposed to repeated inoculations with incoming
material, there is little point in trying to arrange things so that
the "livestock" are restricted to a particular set of chosen species.
It might be done, but it would require sterilizing incoming material,
etc., and it's not clear all that can take place and still have the
system be net positive for energy, or indeed anything like as net
positive as a "fill and forget" system.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.       But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/