[Gasification] Sawdust in Fan TLUD

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Fri Jun 3 09:26:52 CDT 2011

Sawdust size <6 mm to 8 mm
Sawdust moisture 10-20% MC

Tom Miles

-----Original Message-----
From: gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org
[mailto:gasification-bounces at lists.bioenergylists.org] On Behalf Of Paul S.
Anderson
Sent: Friday, June 03, 2011 6:46 AM
To: Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification; Thomas Reed
Cc: Hugh McLaughlin
Subject: Re: [Gasification] Sawdust in Fan TLUD

Dear All,

I totally agree with Tom Reed's comments (below).

Particle size is subjective, and some people call sawdust what I would
call small shavings.  If you can see the curl in the cut of the wood,
that material can probably be used in a Fan Assisted (FA) TLUD.  I and
others have done that on experimental basis.

I know of nobody focused on "sawdust" in TLUDs.  Too much air could
create channels or what Tom R. called "spouted."

At Chip Energy, Paul Wever and I have successfully used some mixtures
of sawdust with other larger-sized fuels, but not successfully with
100% sawdust even when we used compressed air to be sure to be able to
blow through the fuel pile.

To date, the only consistently successful "small particle" fuel in a
TLUD-FA is rice husks.  That work is credited to Alexis Belonio in the
Philippines, and much further work by Paul Olivier in Vietnam.

So, I suspect that wood particles as small as rice husks could be
successfully used in a TLUD-FA.  But sawdust does not come in such
nicely uniform particles of that size.

Somebody is asking.  I hope we hear of their interests and experiences.

I say frequently:  We only know about 20% of what is available to be
learned about TLUD pyrolytic gasifier devices.  There is so much yet
to do and learn.   All are encouraged to join in these efforts.

Paul
--
Paul S. Anderson, PhD
Known to some as:  Dr. TLUD    Doc    Professor
Phone (USA): 309-452-7072   SKYPE: paultlud   Email: psanders at ilstu.edu
www.gtz.de/de/dokumente/giz2011-en-micro-gasification.pdf   (Best ref.)

Quoting Thomas Reed <tombreed2010 at gmail.com>:

> TM
>
> Depends greatly on the sawdust particle size and moisture content.
> With very coarse sawdust should work ok.
>
> With a small fan you may get no penetration.  With a larger fan you
> are likely to get a spouted of fluidized bed.
>
> Tom Reed
>
> Dr Thomas B Reed
> President, The Biomass Energy Foundation
> www.Woodgas.com
>
> On Jun 3, 2011, at 8:55 AM, "Tom Miles" <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:
>
>> TLUD-ites,
>>

>> Does anyone have experience gasifying sawdust in a fan powered
>> TLUD? Continuous feed?
>>

>> Tom Miles

ylists.org