[Gasification] Orange Peels

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:01:28 CDT 2011

Dear Tom Miles and all

Orange and lemon peels contain limonene, and according to Wiki,

Limonene is a colourless liquid hydrocarbon classified as a cyclic terpene. The more common D isomer posesses a strong smell of oranges.[1] It is used in chemical synthesis as a precursor to carvone and as a renewably-based solvent in cleaning products.
Limonene takes its name from the lemon, as the rind of the lemon, like other citrus fruits, contains considerable amounts of this compound, which contributes to their odor. Limonene is a chiral molecule, and biological sources produce one enantiomer: the principal industrial source, citrus fruit, contains D-limonene ((+)-limonene), which is the (R)-enantiomer (CAS number 5989-27-5, EINECS number 227-813-5). Racemiclimonene is known as dipentene.[2] D-Limonene is obtained commercially from citrus fruits through two primary methods: centrifugal separation or steam distillation.
$@$@$@$@
I once met a man who had many barrels of limonene and wondered what to do with it.  He sent me 5 gallons for testing and I ran my lawnmower engine with it, no problem. (Probably cleaned any varnish that might have accumulated.).
I believe it may be as high as 120 octane, and so could be used as an octane enhancer.
I believe if you squeeze most of the limonene out of the rind, the pulp is good cattle food.
So limonene can have many uses depending on price.

Tom Reed fuel chemist

Dr Thomas B Reed
President, The Biomass Energy Foundation
www.Woodgas.com