[Gasification] Benefits of boosting compression ratio

Toby Seiler seilertechco at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 2 08:11:11 CST 2011

Mark, Daniel C., list,

OK I admit that I'm lost when I get to "mole" in the ideal gas law.  (A mole is a furry creature my dog brings up on the porch to chew up.)

So please help me in another way if you understand the physics.  First assume I use a 460 cubic inch engine and have a 10/1 compression ratio.  In total then all cylinders compress the gas/air to an area of 46 cubic inches...easy enough.  At 12/1 it is compressed to 38.3.

Now help me find the mass of the oxygen (we will disregard the nitrogen, argon, etc. for now),
if my manifold is 20 hg  (about 9.8 psi absolute) and I know oxygen weighs 32 grams per mole and I assume 23C (of course it will be higher in a hot engine)...how much oxygen mass is going into the cylinders (with oxygen at 21% of air and for now disregarding the fuel).

Then change the pressure to 5 psig (say ~19 psia) with the same parameters and calculate the mass of oxygen.  Do the masses come out with the ratio of 9.8/19 or about 1/2 for my comparison between natural aspirated and (5 psig) low pressure?  If so, then there is twice the oxygen mass in a 5 psig pressure going into the engine, as compared to 20 in hg (9.8 psia).

Change the temperature to 95C for both.  Is it the same?

I'm sorry to ask, but as I read the ideal gas law equasions, my eyes glass over and confusion sets in.

Best regards,

Toby