[Gasification] raising H2 concentration indowndraft gasification

Rex Zietsman rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Mon Dec 23 00:12:18 CST 2013

Hi All,

Firstly, I would like to reiterate my thanks to Tom Miles for hosting this list. The members have historically been good contributors and I hope that this will continue.

I think somewhere my original question of raising H2 output from standard gasification has taken a somewhat devious route back to here. So let me sum up so that we can all benefit from what has been said.
a. I am working on a demonstration plant that liquefies and catalytically cracks biomass molecules to produce an oil.
  i. Biomass has the average composition of C6H10O5. When all of the oxygen is removed as CO2 we are left with CH2 chains of various lengths and a slight excess of H.
  ii. As hydrogen is released at the catalyst face, we also benefit from hydrogenation of the catalytically cut biomass chains to make deoxygenated oil.
  iii. Longer chained oil is recycled for further cracking while shorter chains boil and leave as vapour.
  iv. The oil is a cross section of lengths, branches, rings, etc. and it contains some sulphur and nitrogen. To get it to Euro V standard requires hydrotreating using hydrogen

b. Besides this oil, we also have vegetable oil. Rather than going for FAME biodiesel, one can also hydrotreat triglycerides to form chemically similar diesel to that from crude oil. As there is a significant amount of oxygen in the triglyceride structure, it requires a lot more (up to 10x more) hydrogen than standard hydrotreating of transport fuels.

c. For hydrotreating we need hydrogen. We can buy hydrogen in cylinders or we can make it ourselves. Our plant typically requires about 30kg/hour of hydrogen to meet the hydrogenation requirements. 30kg/hour is not particularly big but big enough to consider onsite production. As we are processing biomass, the thought was to harvest hydrogen out of gasifier syngas. If we do this, what size gasifier do we need?

d. Gasifier size will depend on how much hydrogen we can produce. The typical method is to produce a syngas with say 30% H2 and about 30% CO (good quality gasifier). After washing and cleaning the syngas, we can compress and reheat it before passing it over a water gas shift reactor to convert most of the CO to CO2 and H2. This is on a mole for mole basis meaning that we would almost double our hydrogen concentration in the post WGS gas. At this point, the gas is cooled and run through a PSA. Note: there are hot H2 membranes coming out on the market which could allow hot H2 removal and allow the hot raffinate gas to go back to say a charcoal gasifier as suggested by P.V.

e. An alternate view is not to go via WGS but just to harvest the H2 directly from the syngas. The raffinate gas can then be fed to the onsite diesel generator through the air intake. CO plus any residual H2 from the PSA will then be combusted and help provide power to the facility. This route saves the cost of gas heat exchange and the WGS reactor.

This all brings me to my question: how can we tweak a conventional gasifier to produce a higher concentration of H2 in the syngas? To my mind, Kevin has basically hit all the high points:
1: Dry the wood.
2: Preheat the wood.
3: Preheat the air.
4: Add superheated steam to the air

To this I speculated on using slightly enriched air by raising the O2 concentration to 28%. This effectively removes 25% of the starting N2 in the air thereby reducing the dilution factor. Tom Reid then made the suggestion to gasify only the cellulose and allow the lignin to leave as biochar. Another practical and easily implemented suggestion when running a standard gasifier.

I thank you all for your contributions. I wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and hope that 2014 will be the best year ever!
Kind regards
Rex