[Gasification] Two Engines One Gasifier

gasman gasman at welho.com
Wed May 20 08:10:08 CDT 2015

Hello, Jeff!

There are two logical "formulations" that, when both used, gives a
practical working solution for an "independent" motor starting from a
common gas-line.

A common gasifier delivery line usually (in a good system) keeps below
50 cm H2O.

A motor with tight valves, without overlap and hidden crankcase
ventilation into the manifold develops ~ 500 cm H2O at cranking.

Combined with the fact:

Identical pressure drops over identical openings (slots) results in
IDENTICAL FLOWS.  (with similar fluids)

Using identical ganged twin flaps with identical geometry for gas and
air will deliver a 50/50 air/gas mix, if starting both from
atmospherical pressure.

The secondary air intake pressure has to be regulated to equal the
momentary gas-line
pressure with a membrane and air-line flap, sensing the resulting
air-pressure versus the gas-line pressure.

This way the total pressure drops in both "legs" will constantly be
equal.

To furthermore assist slow crank starting, the twin-flaps will be closed
by a trimmable spring closing the flaps COMPLETELY.

A manifold-vacuum membrane or cylinder, diameter ~2-3" opens the
twin-flaps
when the spring starts to give in for a vacuum of ~100 - 200 cm H2O.

This opening increases as the motor fires, and has to be controlled by a
manually settable stopper = idle limiter!

When fired, there has to be a "change over" to automatic run...

Max Gasman