[Gasification] Difference between biomass and coal gasification

Thomas Koch tk at tke.dk
Mon May 25 01:30:06 CDT 2015

Hi Saiteja

In an updraft fixed bed gasifier there is no clear link between maximal temperature and tar content in the gas.

Slagging takes place in the oxidizing zone in the bottom of the reaction zone, tar is made in pyrolysis zone in the top of the bed.

If you observe slagging you can inject water together with the air – eg if you use a water scrubber as part of you gas cleaning you have a fraction to get rid of. That is one way to reduce the temperature.

There Is a lot of reports from the development of the Vølund updraft gasifier in Harboøre that vould be very relevant for you to read.

http://www.res-chains.eu/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Case-Study-Gasification-Harbo%C3%B8re.pdf

Thomas