[Greenbuilding] Drying Clothes

Reuben Deumling 9watts at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 14:34:19 CDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:21 PM, JAY WALSH <jaywalsh at usa.net> wrote:
> Can't say I have any better solutions, but question banking on higher
prices and scarcity as a
> solution that will save us.

price increases alone do not a policy make, even though (some) salutary
effects may accompany these rises. I think supply side solutions have had a
thirty-year run with not so much to show, so now it's time to revisit demand
side solutions. How hard could it be? To reduce our consumption of
electricity by 80% below 1990 levels is to return to ~1960 consumption
levels (this does not take account of population growth). Many people in
every town are already consuming at levels comparable to this today (with or
without expert guidance). We could ask them how they do it for starters.
Or start a competition between households, between neighborhoods, between
towns. Offer real prizes.

If the city of Murcia, Spain can
offer<http://www.springwise.com/government/murciacity/>citizens a
chance to
* trade in their cars for a lifetime pass for its new tram system*, what
could we do in the US that reflects a comparably serious commitment to
avoiding climate change?