[Greenbuilding] Web Design

Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn info at ecobrooklyn.com
Mon Sep 26 17:17:00 CDT 2011

I agree with sanjay. Open source is the way to go for many reasons

Gennaro Brooks-Church
347-244-3016
Sent from my phone
On Sep 26, 2011 5:59 PM, "sanjay jain" <sanjayjainuk at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Gary,
>
> What as shame you are promoting Microsoft over Open Source. M$ has caused
millions, if not billions of tonnes of unnecessary eWaste. They are
constantly forcing people to upgrade their OS, which requires better
hardware and so people are forced to replace perfectly usable equipment.

> See my petition at:
>

> http://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-ceo-stop-promoting-e-waste
>
> ~sanjay
>

> ________________________________

many on this list manage websites.    I have decided to do the same.  I want
to promote many of the concepts that are relavant to this list on my site.

>>>I am wondering how you manage your website.  Did you get a consultant to
develop the format, or did you design it yourself. My inclination is to do
it myself.  However, I am finding the HTML code is not intuitive at all.  I
am working through the tutorial of a program called Coffee Cup (HTML code
editor).  It certainly makes it easier to enter the code and quickly view
your results.  However, it does not bypass the need to learn the code.  This
program also has a graphic editor which is more intuitive.  However, it does
not support HTML5, which I have learned is the latest language being
supported by the dominant browsers.  I like that concept of a graphic
editor, but if they are not supporting graphic editor with the new HTML
versions, it tells me they have trouble with that approach and are fading it
out.  The easiest method I have identified yet is converting a MS Word
document to an HTML.  It is very intuitive.   I noticed that when I
> viewed the source code, it was really long, thousands of lines.  I am
wondering if this will slow down the loading of the page.  Another program
described in my book “Web Design in Easy Steps”, they describe another
program call Dreamweaver by Adobe.  The book claims this is a robust program
that includes graphic layout features.   I would expect a significant
learning curve.  They do not offer trial period installation or return
policy.  The cost of program with training is around $200.  No problem if it
meets my need.  However, I would like to hear from some who may be using
this program.

>>>For those that do not know, you can see the code used on a loaded webpage
by right clicking on the page and left clicking the view source. What comes
up makes no sense to the untrained eye.  It is the coded instructions to the
browser how to display the information on page.  This is an example of
taking a thousand words to describe one picture.