[Greenbuilding] eco glue

David Bergman bergman at cyberg.com
Sun Mar 18 12:37:10 CDT 2012

This sounds like a good sub-area for your blog: "Green or Good (or Both)?"

David

At 10:47 AM 3/18/2012, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn wrote:
>yea I know the harm of mass loaded vinyl. But sometimes I like to
>test conventional products so I know what I'm talking about when I
>offer alternatives.
>
>For example:
>Good stuff spray foam vs. Soy based spray foam. Forget the argument
>that there actually isn't much soy in soy spray foam. The stuff just
>isn't that good. It doesn't hold up to Good stuff spray foam.
>
>Water based low VOC floor glue vs. toxic glue. Water based glue
>basically sucks. It has no holding power compared to toxic.
>
>Spray fiberglass insulation vs. cellulose. Cellulose wins hands down.
>
>Toxic varnish vs. water based. Toxic is much stronger
>
>Toxic varnish vs tung oil. Tung oil much better...
>
>Etc.
>

>So......can anyone suggest a solution for adhering thin flooring to MLV?
>

>Gennaro Brooks-Church
>Director, Eco Brooklyn Inc.
>Cell: 1 347 244 3016 USA
><http://www.EcoBrooklyn.com>www.EcoBrooklyn.com
>22 2nd St; Brooklyn, NY 11231
>

>On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM, RT
><<mailto:archilogic at yahoo.ca>archilogic at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:25:35 -0400, Gennaro Brooks-Church - Eco Brooklyn
> > <<mailto:info at ecobrooklyn.com>info at ecobrooklyn.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Does anyone have suggestions for an eco glue to adhere mahogany
> >> flooring to mass loaded vinyl
> >

> > It seems more than a little incongruous to be seeking an "eco glue" to
> > adhere something to vinyl.
> > "Vinyl" = poly vinyl chloride  (PVC)
> >
> > It's akin to asking about a gentle hair conditioner for bubonic
> > plague-carrying rats isn't it ?
> >

> <http://www.healthybuilding.net/pvc/facts.html>http://www.healthybuilding.net/pvc/facts.html
> > http://www.acereport.org/pvc2.html
> >
> > =============== Copied material==================
> > (
> from
> <http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/Pubs/rp/Economics_of_PVC_revised.pdf>http://www.ase.tufts.edu/gdae/Pubs/rp/Economics_of_PVC_revised.pdf
> > )
> >

> >        "PVC poses hazards to human health over the course of its
> life cycle.
> >         PVC production exposes workers and communities to vinyl
> chloride and
> > other toxic substances.
> >         PVC products such as medical equipment and children's
> toys can leach
> > toxic additives during their useful life.
> >        Vinyl building materials release hydrochloric acid fumes if they
> > catch
> > fire, and burning PVC creates byproducts including dioxin, a potent
> > carcinogen.
> >
> > ========== End of copied material ===========
> >
> > About 15 or 20 years ago PVC was banned in a number of European countries,
> > labelling it as an "Environmental Toxin" (a bit strong perhaps but
> > nevertheless...).
> >
> > NASA banned its use at least that long ago claiming that the off-gassed
> [...]

David Bergman  RA   LEED AP
DAVID BERGMAN ARCHITECT / FIRE & WATER LIGHTING + FURNITURE
architecture . interiors . ecodesign . lighting . furniture
bergman at cyberg.com    www.cyberg.com
241 Eldridge Street #3R, New York, NY 10002
t 212 475 3106    f 212 677 7291

author - Sustainable Design: A Critical Guide
adjunct faculty - Parsons The New School for Design