[Greenbuilding] Lstiburek... wow.

John Salmen terrain at shaw.ca
Mon Aug 5 10:41:20 CDT 2013

Under our code (can) there is a ‘clear open’ requirement – with a minimum
80% open area in cross section.

I think a somewhat arbitrary number based on confusion about equalizing
pressure in the rainscreens but practically since siding should have support
back to framing it conveniently works out to a 1x4 every 16” (if you are
framing at 16) and this provides somewhat sufficient stiffness (depending on
the siding) to resist wind pressure. A 1x4 every 24” works but practically
would probably result in a wavy looking vertically striped wall over time
(the hardy wall) – but a 1x3 every 12” meets our code goal.

I think smaller compartments would work fine  - I wanted to do a reverse
board and batten with a 60% open area but a thicker batten and was not
allowed by one inspector. I thought it was a practical attractive solution
to a rainscreen.

For strips I typically specify 3/8” ply strips or ½” foam IF the siding is
nailed right back to the framing at 16 or 24” otherwise you need something
thicker for nail holding.  Studies have shown you can go much thinner but it
goes back to pressure. If you want to get really confused there is a good
old article by Rousseau
http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/obj/irc/doc/ctu-n17_eng.pdf