[Stoves] World Population and Daily Income

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 02:35:20 CDT 2014

Dear Crispin,
I have now retired from my job as head of Appropriate Rural Technology
Institute, but three years ago, while I still served this Institute, US$300
was what I used to get as my monthly salary. I paid income tax on this
income and belonged therefore to the richest 2% in the country. That is why
I said that  US$10 per day per family was quite a good income.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Sat, Jul 12, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Crispin Pemberton-Pigott <
crispinpigott at outlook.com> wrote:

>  Dear AD
>
> Cecil is not here to comment so I will report that the value the average
> rural family gets from the environment is much more than the cash income of
> one or two dollars a day.
>
> From this flow two things: moving a rural family to an urban conurbation
> at the same salary, or even double, deepens their poverty; and the cost of
> stabilising a family in a city is 5 times the cost of stabilising them in a
> rural area.
>
>  Stabilising, he says, means a house, job, water, roads, school, health
> care and fuel.
>
> The reduction of 'poverty' to a metric of cash income can hide massive
> differences in real world living standard.
>
> So far I haven't seen a metric that is suitable for measuring 'living
> standard'.
>
> Regards
> Crispin

***